Saturday, November 03, 2007

Doh!


Well, my streak was already broken! I totally missed posting yesterday, but I guess that means I can post today, twice, in lieu of yesterday? OK... I'm making up the rules as I go along, but that is ok.

I mentioned that my theme would be thankfulness. I thought this would be appropriate as we head into our "thankful" season. Thankful for food, for family, for our faith, friends, etc. I knew exactly what I wanted to post about first. My dogs. That's right. My dogs. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not putting my posts in any sort of order. They will come as the ideas hit me. So please don't think I am more thankful for one thing (like my dogs) than I am for something else ( say, my children). I am not.

I couldn't help but think about how very thankful I am for the dogs that have come into my life. Ever since I was a child, there has always been a special dog that I feel connected to in some way. I can't imagine my life without them in it. I don't understand how someone can not have a dog. It just doesn't fit into my paradigm. Sometimes, I have thought, "wouldn't it be nice to not have a dog!", but then I see those big beautiful eyes (they ALL have them) and I realize that I will probably ALWAYS have one. They just melt my heart.

They are first and foremost, unconditional in their love. They don't care if you've forgotten to feed them in the past, given up their walks for the last few weeks, only have a moment for a quick pat on the head. They take what they are offered and are so happy to have it! They cheer us up when we are down. Offer comfort when we grieve. Provide companionship when we are lonely. Protect us when we are afraid, and best of all, they clean up the kitchen floor after a messy toddler throws his food all over the place!

As I head out the door for my morning run, Hannah wimpers because I am not taking her with me. But as she ages, her ability to keep up with me for the mileage that I have to cover today diminishes. Maybe, just maybe, I'll have time to take her for a shorter run when I get back...

3 comments:

mamabear said...

I don't think you should be penalized for not posting on November 2nd. In my book, anyone who is writing a blog post at 4:54 AM is obviously still awake from the night before. No sane person would actually awaken at that hour intending to STAY awake for the rest of the day! What have those endorphins done to your brain, lady? :-)

K said...

That running thing I do... it gets me up earlier and earlier...

I was in bed by 10 pm though, which is unheard of for me!

Sherri said...

There's nothing wrong with being thankful for our doggies! I love my Ginger. Madison and I were away from the house for about 7 hours yesterday, and when we came home, Ginger cried like a baby. She ran out to the car and jumped in...I guess she was trying to make sure that we didn't get away without her again :).