Tuesday, January 02, 2007

It's still Christmas!



Happy New Year to all! It's hard to believe that we are already into 2007. I just got used to writing 2006 on my checks...

I am amazed at how quickly Christmas is tossed aside once the 25th arrives. Walking through Wally World tonight, Bean remarked at all of the Valentines Candy and presents that were glaring us in the face. Candy? I can't even think of eating any right now! Valentine candy? Be serious. Let's get through the Twelve days of Christmas first!

We are the weird ones on the street. Well, actually, I'm impressed this year. There are four of us that still have their lights on. As I took a walk around the neighborhood yesterday with Boo, I saw many trees kicked to the curb. It makes me so sad. Christmas isn't a day. It is a season. God gives us these seasons for good reason. He wants us to slow down long enough to enjoy His goodness.

I know the last two weeks before Christmas are usually so crazy around here, that once Christmas Eve arrives, I love to sit back and enjoy the moments that unfold.

Christmas Eve we attend Mass and then return to Mickey Miss's home to feast on TONS of great food, share in the love and laughter that are exemplified on this glorious night, and exchange gifts. First, however, we stop for a moment to wish Mickey Miss the happiest of birthdays. She has the good fortune of being born on Christmas Eve. Can you imagine anything more wonderful than that?

I am sure as a child, it wasn't always much fun. How many children can come to a birthday on Christmas Eve? With all the scurring around to buy Christmas gifts, birthday gifts are far from the mind. My eldest daughter's birthday is on the 20th and I've seen from her perspective how hard it is to have a "normal" birthday.

But I also know that Mickey Miss would not have it any other way now. The whole world is decorated and waiting for the arrival of Our Savior. What better time to have a party?!

So in our humble attempts to show her how very much we love and adore her, we take a whole 15 minutes out of the well-planned schedule to wish her a wonderful birthday!

On Christmas Day, our home is open to anyone who would like to stop in. Bring leftovers, because we don't cook. In fact, you may even find us hanging out in our jammies all day long. It's the one time of the year that we do so. The kids think its heavenly. We make them eat breakfast and then they are on their own for the rest of the day. If they want to eat junk all day, go for it. Usually, they make pretty good choices, it's us adults who end up regretting our decisions.

Sometime after dark, we whip out the mah jong sets and get busy! This year we were up until after 1:00 am playing! Tons of fun, tons of laughter, tons of family. I have dreamed of this scene my whole life, and God has placed me exactly there.

This year, my wonderful dh was able to take off the whole week between Christmas and New Year's. I had a long list of "stuff" to do, beginning with fence repair, but I think he still enjoyed being home with the kids and I. I pray we can do this each year, but if not, I will forever treasure this one.

We will not start school until next Monday. Once our tree returns to it's home in the garage and the lights make their way back to storage. It's hard to concentrate on anything else right now. Our Saviour has been born!

Have a Blessed Christmas season and Happy 2007!

6 comments:

Laura The Crazy Mama said...

Oh I just love it when you post pictures, your family is soooo gorgeous! I agree with the whole "Christmas is a season" dealio, but I had to put my tree out in the fire pit for safety reasons two days after Christmas. I still have my creche up though! I'm having a hard time letting go of my Advent wreath too! Especially since these months are looooong and cooooold. We have a long time until Valentine's day and a long, cold Lent to look forward too so the Christmas lights warm my heart and I hate to see them all sagging and dim all too early :(

K said...

I know what you mean about the dried out trees. Very dangerous! I always get sad putting away the advent wreath as well! Funny how I just love those penitential seasons. Lent is my favorite time of the year.

mira said...

You started playing Mah jong!?! Wah! I wish I could come.

Lillian said...

Great pictures and beautiful family! We're going to miss seeing you. I will always be indebted to you for introducing me to Charlotte Mason and KPI!! THANKS!!

The Bookworm said...

Only Valentine candy in the shops? They already have chocolate Easter eggs on display here! Grumble, grumble.

MC said...

K, I don't even need 15 mins, but I really do appreciate that you force me to take them!

As to the junk food decisions on Christmas day, if you didn't keep bowls of your homemade sinfully delectable absolutely decadent chocolate covered butter toffee out in front of my face all day, I wouldn't be coerced into consuming pounds of the stuff!!!