Thursday, July 06, 2006

In the end...

I loved reading MickeyMiss's post on MidTerm Exams. I think it provides an excellent opportunity for us to pause and reflect on some very important points in life.

In light of Mr. Lay's passing, being local to Houston, I was able to watch some of the local news showing the reactions of several people who lost so much while employed at Enron.

While I do not pretend to begin to understand what it must feel like to lose my entire savings/retirement account, and I also can't say that I have ever experienced losing a job of many, many years, I was somewhat dismayed by the tone of some of the folks interviewed.

One woman, who I am assuming lost everything she had financially, including her job, said, "I think he got off easy! He never served a day in jail, he just died. He got off too easy!"

I understand how angry she must be at everything she has lost, everything that she has gone through for the past five years. But I am very disturbed that she thinks death was too easy for him.

I find it hard to believe that the last 5 years of Mr. Lay's life has been anything but horrific, stressful, and eye-opening, perhaps even soul-changing for him as well as for his family.

I know that he was found guilty. In this day and age, someone is always responsible for what we lose. While Mr. Lay may be guilty of something, I am not completely convinced that he decidedly intended to undermine the corporation of Enron, lose the company, lose everything. I think he may be guilty of being negligent, terribly, terribly negligent, but to actually set out to make himself "KING" and richer than he alreay was, all the while donating huge amounts of money to various organziations and to the City of Houston? That doesn't sit right with me.

But I could be wrong. He could be guilty and actually was found guilty of all wrong-doing. And I don't think he got off easy. He has to meet his maker, review his life, and then pay the eternal price for it. Last time I checked, Hell was not consider getting off easy.

I don't know where Mr. Lay will spend his eternity. I do know that scripture says:

Again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for one who is rich to enter the kingdom of God Matthew 19:24

Perhaps Mr. Lay leaves us a legacy of how now shall we live, what would we like to be remembered by, and do we place anything else before our relationship with God and with those around us.

3 comments:

MC said...

You're so right - a negative judgement from the only Judge who really matters would definitely not be "getting off easy." And if His verdict is positive, then no man can question it ... we don't know, but we don't need to. We should be more concerned with our own days in court, for we'll all get one! Great post.

Jennie C. said...

It is so hard to not be angry when someone "steals" from you. A story, if I may.

Years ago, when my beloved was still single, just back from his first enlistment in Army, a returning war hero, he had no income, and his brother had no credit, so they cosigned a credit card together. Ten years or so later, the brother got married and the two of them lived the high life. Extremely high. Every credit card they had was maxed out. They hadn't made payments in months. The police were starting to get involved. The happy couple packed up and left the state, hoping for more time. When we heard the news, a little knot settled in our stomachs. We downloaded my beloved's credit report and found three credit cards with his name on it that BIL had maxed. All were six to twelve months overdue and all were being charged interest in the upper 20%. We used our recently recieved tax refund to catch up the payments, but none of the companies would bring the interest down, so we took a low interest loan from my dad. My FIL also sent us $2000 to help. He'd have given it to his other son, but BIL wouldn't accept it. We paid over $6000 ourselves for BIL mistake.

It took me more than a year to forgive him, though my beloved had the attitude of "He ain't heavy, he's my brother." It hurt me so, I guess, because we had only recently dug ourselves out of the same sort of hole. Not as desperate as the newlyweds' situation, but significant. To be saddled with someone else's same financial mistake, well, that made me mad.

Now, four years later, I look back and I can't even see that we missed that money. We still had what we needed and many things we wanted. No, I don't see that as a lean year at all. And my beloved's relationship with his brother has been strengthened by his act of love. The BIL is living a humble life far from everything he ever knew and he has found his God and loves his family. And me? I forgave him long ago, though it was hard, and I love him. I've seen that his love for his brother extends to me, and I appreciate that. (If you have a loving family, you will maybe not understand that. Our extended families are not loving. While my beloved was deployed, BIL was the ONLY ONE who ever called me.)

I understand that lady's attitude, but even good men make big mistakes.

K said...

Jennie,
I loved your post, and I think anyone who is part of a family, loving or not so loving, will encounter times within those relationships where we are called by God to act in a way contrary than what we would like to. In the end, that action does so much more for our souls than it does to the person we are "helping". God sanctifies us through our families. And our families are not always the ones we are related to...