Saturday, May 13, 2006

Mother's Treasure Box




How many of you have a special place to put your most treasured possesions? I have two fairly large boxes full of cards, pictures, notes, letters, and other keepsakes that my beautiful children have created for me over the years. They are my most beloved, most cherished items. Aside from their photographs, these are the next most important items I would grab in the event of a fire.

These are my newest treasures that will be added along with what the other children have made to give to me tomorrow. I know I am not supposed to know about them, but I happened into the room at the wrong time. I acted innocently enough, exiting as quickly as I came in hoping that no one noticed.


Joseph however could not wait til tomorrow to give his to me. He made two, so I'll have another one tomorrow morning.

As a mother, I have been so blessed to have 6 children who tolerate my deficiencies, my weaknesses, and my not so wonderful moods some days. They love me for who I am. Make-up or none, crying or laughing. My sons long to protect me from the evils of the world and my daughters cherish the opportunity to pamper me. I hardly feel worthy of the efforts, but not accepting them would crush their spirits. And a mother could never do that.

Mother's Day has always been a day in which I celebrated my mother. I don't know that I have ever been able to look upon it as "my" day. Last year was the first year that I had to make that transition. Thanks to my loving husband who took steps to recognize my mother who had passed away only 6 weeks earlier, I was able to face the day that I was not especially looking forward to with smiles, laughter, and most importantly helped me to accept the love that my children desired to shower upon me.

This year, with great humility, I will embrace Mother's Day as a day that my children want to celebrate my life. I will act with as much grace as I am able to muster, and being a good mommy, I will probably shed a few tears and make them all happy. (They love to laugh at how emotional I get over "stuff".)

I will also remember my mother. Her love for life, her love for her children, and her love for her grandchildren.

I pray that each one of you who is a mother enjoys a truly wonderful Mother's Day. If your mother is still here, let her know that you love her. Even if it is just for giving you life; a life that has allowed you to become a mother.

If she is not, remember her in a special way today. Celebrate your motherhood in her honor. Shower a friend who is also a mother with an unexpected surprise. I plan to honor my mother in this way. She would want me to. Mother's are like that.

No comments: