Thursday, May 04, 2006

How does my faith change the world?

"They will know we are Christians by our love!" I am sure many of you have heard or even sung this song. It resonates throughout my mind quite often.

Our faith reminds us constantly that we should be Christ to the world. And many of us try to do just that. We feed the hungry, clothe the naked, visit the sick, give alms to the poor.

But how do these acts of charity show Christian love? Can't someone who isn't a Christian carry out these acts as well? Of course they can, and many do! So I ask again, how exactly do our "works" as Christians change the world? How would a non-Christian recognize the love that we show to others as "Christian" love?

A deacon from our parish gave a homily that asked us this question and ever since I had the pleasure of hearing it, I have pondered it and as of yet, I don't have a an answer. What differentiates me(considered a faithful Catholic Christian) from a very nice person (non-Christian)?

I am always on a quest to increase my faith, my love, and my trust in Christ. I read, study, discuss, pray, and reflect. Interiorly, I feel I have grown in all of the areas mentioned, but again, I can't say with any certainty that I have changed anything, let alone the world, with my faith.

I hope to expand on this more and welcome thoughts on this subject.

2 comments:

Moneybags said...

I also have heard and like that song. For me, I find the good works of a Christian more important in the long than a non-Christian. In the short term, all of us can improve lives, help others in grief or sickness, and be a true joy to someone else. If we are Christian though we can offer these actions to Christ, who then acts through us. Our actions no longer become our own but rather the Holy Spirit acts through us as it did through the apostles. We literally becoming servants of Jesus Christ. If we are non-Christian we can do good work for the moment but that's it. If we don't allow God into our lives and to act through us then we become nothing and many of our actions won't amount to a lot either.

That's my opinion at least.

God Bless

Alice said...

This is such an important subject to ponder. Thank you for posting about it.