Thursday, April 27, 2006

Discipline

Does anyone out there have any that I could borrow? Seriously. I am discovering through more time with St. Francis, that I am lacking in this area.
I don't know when it happened. I used to be TOO disciplined. Never could stand for things to be out of place, late, dirty, out of synch, ever.
Somehow, now, I find that it takes all I possess to get out of bed by 7:30 and get started on my wonderfully constructed Rule!
I lay in bed and tell myself, "die to yourself, die to yourself." And then that bad little angel on my shoulder says, "go ahead, die to yourself, after a bit more sleep."
Lack of discipline has been the root of most of my difficulties lately and I need to get a handle on this. Obviously, I must ask for the help I need from God, as I, me, myself, and I, can't do ANYTHING without His help.
If anyone has any helpful tips in this area, feel free to post them.

3 comments:

Barb, sfo said...

If you find any, I'd like some too.

Sometimes it helps if I think of it as OBEDIENCE rather than discipline. "Obedience" comes from the verb "to hear." So I have to remind myself to listen better!

Jennie C. said...

There isn't any magic pill, you just do it. You get up when you don't want to, clean the bathroom even though you'd rather not, school the kids even though there's a great book on your night table...You just do it. There isn't any other way. After a while, it gets to be a habit, just like snoozing does, and it isn't so hard anymore. Start small. Pick one thing and just do it.

Jennie C. said...

One more thing...I noticed your post time was 12:17 am. GO TO BED!! You can't get up if you aren't getting any sleep!