Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Back to homeschooling?


Baby is 8 weeks old today. We have had every intention of getting back into to "groove" of schooling, but babies tend to create different plans for you... aren't they wonderful??

Brendan is a great baby. He is happiest when someone is holding him, and honestly, we are all happiest when we are holding him. So, not much official schooling is getting done. And that is ok.

We are in a preparation phase around the house. We are preparing for Christmas. I love the season of Advent. Almost as much as I love Lent. The time for reflection and preparation of our hearts and minds to receive Christ is a wonderful opportunity to deepen our relationship with Him as well as with the others we share our lives with.

The season goes by so quickly. I never seem to be able to get all that I want to done, especially in my prayer life. Somedays the only prayer I get out is, "God help me..." Amazingly, He does.

So I must stop and ask myself from time to time, what exactly my goals are for the children as we travel the road of homeschooling together. Of course, I want them to become well-educated, well-socialized, and upstanding citizens of our society. But more importantly, I hope and pray that my husband and I will be instill in them a deep sense of faith that helps to guide them toward good decisions throughout their entire lives.

I asked my middle two children yesterday if they understood why we attend Mass? They must have thought me crazy! Of course, mother, we go to Mass because we are supposed to and it would be a sin not to! I applauded their answers and then said, "but do you really understand why God calls us to worship Him?" Their reply was precious. They both talked about how important it is to attend Mass so that they can receive God's grace through Holy Communion. The younger of the two has not made her first Holy Communion yet, but she still understands the importance of this act in our lives.

I asked if they thought they would continue to go to Mass when they were older and not under mom and dad's rules. They both said that they would. And I pray that they do. I wish I had. I wish my eldest would.

Back to my goals for my children... Heaven. Attain Heaven. I pray we will all arrive there together someday.

No comments: